The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) on Wednesday reported 489 new cases of COVID-19 in the state and 23 new deaths, with one new death and zero new cases in Hancock County.
Hancock County’s total number of cases stands at 100 with 13 COVID-19-related deaths.
Sixteen of the confirmed COVID-19-related deaths between May 23 and June 11 — including the new death reported in Hancock County — were identified from death certificate reports, MSDH states.
“Mississippi's total of COVID-19 cases since March 11 now stands at 20,641, with 938 deaths.” according to the agency’s statement on Wednesday. “There are now 73 active outbreaks of COVID-19 in long-term care facilities (where an outbreak is one or more cases among residents or staff).”
As of June 14, the MSDH estimates that 15,323 Mississippi residents who had tested positive for COVID-19 had recovered.
As of June 16, the number of patients hospitalized with confirmed infection is 466; 202 hospitalized with suspected infection; 161 patients in ICU; and 100 patients on ventilators, according to MSDH.
“Anyone with symptoms of fever, severe cough or severe chest pains – especially those who are older or in poor health – should make arrangements for testing with their doctor or one of the many healthcare providers now performing testing,” according to MSDH. “Healthcare providers can assess your health history and symptoms, and perform testing for COVID-19 as needed. MSDH is also helping conduct free drive-up testing sites in many parts of the state. Always call ahead to the testing provider for instructions on safely being examined before you visit for your test.”
There are COVID-19 testing sites open in Hancock County.
• Hancock Women’s Center, 1009 Benigno Lane, Bay St. Louis. Walk-ins are welcome, both male and female, with results in 36-14 hours. Open Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.; and Friday, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. For more, please call 228-467-2555 or go to www.hancockwomenscenter.com.
• Memorial Drinkwater Internal Medicine Walk-In Clinic, 300 Drinkwater Drive, Bay St. Louis, Monday – Friday 8 a.m.–5 p.m. and Sat & Sun 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• Memorial Hancock Family Practice, 4433 Leisure Time Drive, Diamondhead, Monday – Friday 8 a.m. –5 p.m. and Sat & Sun 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Call (228) 867–5000 before visiting a clinic to allow the staff to determine the next steps and to prepare for your arrival.
• Children’s International Medical Group — 467-1320
• Coastal Family Health Center — 228-463-9666.
For more information, visit www.msdh.ms.gov.