Sponsor the Sea Coast Echo Weather! Call Jace at 228-467-5474
Advertise Here
School Fire Scare: South Hancock evacuated after air conditioner malfunctions
By Dwayne Bremer
Aug 8, 2014, 19:27

Fire fighters, police, and medical personnel responded to South Hancock Elementary after an air condition unit malfunction and cause smoke in the hallways. The school was briefly evacuated but nobody was injured and no damage was done.

Thursday was the first day of the 2014-2015 school year at South Hancock Elementary and one of the first lessons students learned was the fire drill.
Officials said Friday that an air conditioning unit malfunctioned and caused the school to be briefly evacuated, but nobody was injured and the evacuation was done as a precaution.
A report of smoke at South Hancock was received about 1 p.m. Thursday, Hancock County Fire Marshal Brian Adam said Friday.
Apparently, Adam said, an AC unit had an electrical problem and cause some light smoke.
The Clermont Harbor, Bayside, and West Hancock fire departments responded to the school and students were evacuated for about 20 minutes.
Hancock County Schools Superintendent Alan Dedeaux said Friday that proper protocol was followed.
"Safety is always our first concern," Dedeaux said. "Once it was deemed safe, the students went back to class with no further incident."
Adam said other than the report of light smoke, no fire was discovered and no damage occurred at the school.
Dedeaux said the air conditioning unit will be replaced.
He said the school district did not have any other reports of problems with its first day of school Thursday.














Search

Advertise Here