Pass man injured by explosives
By Ellis C. Cuevas
Jun 24, 2014, 22:45
A Pass Christian man was injured last week while apparently making an explosive device to ward off trespassers, officials said.
Drayton Wayland Smith, 65, was at his residence in the 12000 block of B Necaise Road, Pass Christian, when the device exploded, causing severe injuries to his left hand, Harrison County Sheriff Melvin T. Brisolara said in a press release issued Monday. The accident occurred at around 8 p.m. Sunday, Brisolara said.
"An investigation by investigators determined that Smith was designing and making homemade devices using live shotgun rounds and tripwires,to serve as noise device to keep trespassers off his property," Brisolara said. "A malfunction occurred which severely injured Smith's left hand. Smith was transported to a local hospital for treatment, and released on June 23.
"Sheriff's Investigators contacted agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATE), to assist in the investigation. No charges have been filed at this time against Smith. The investigation continues."