Sponsor the Sea Coast Echo Weather! Call Jace at 228-467-5474
3 teens nabbed in burglary
By Geoff Belcher
May 13, 2014, 20:16

Waveland police officers on Sunday arrested two juveniles and one adult for an alleged smash-and-grab burglary at a local liquor store.
According to Waveland police, at around 12:47 a.m. Sunday, officers responded to an activated burglar alarm at Gator Wine & Spirits, located at 482 Hwy. 90.
"Officers arrived ... to find that the front glass door of the business had been broken out," Investigator Eddie Peterson said in a statement issued Tuesday.
Peterson said he reviewed video surveillance footage at the store and "was able to determine what appeared to be three young white males (who) threw a rock through the glass door, entered the business, and left with numerous bottles of liquor. The suspects left the scene in the direction of a nearby apartment complex."
At about 2:40 p.m. Sunday, Peterson said, "Officer Mike Prendergast located three individuals at the nearby apartment complex that fit the description of the suspects form the burglary."
Peterson joined Prendergast on the scene and the suspects were identified as two juveniles and 18-year-old Sidney Foster. After the suspects were i.d.'d, Prendergast left but Peterson stayed "to observe the individuals from a discrete location," Peterson said. "Within minutes (I) observed the three individuals leave their apartment bring trash to the Dumpster in the apartment complex.
When Peterson confronted the three teens, two of them walked into a wooded area while the other threw the bags in the Dumpster, he said. He then ordered them out of the woods and checked the bags.
"A check of the garbage bags revealed two pairs of shoes and a shirt later determined to have been used in the burglary," Peterson said. "A check of the wooded area led to the discovery of full bottles of liquor later determined to have been taken from the burglary.
Peterson arrested all three and charged them with commercial burglary.
Since two of the suspects were minors, their names are being withheld. Their cases have been referred to Hancock County Youth Court, Peterson said.
Foster was transported to the Hancock County Jail, where he remained at press time Tuesday under a $5,000 bond.


Advertise Here