Sponsor the Sea Coast Echo Weather! Call Jace at 228-467-5474
Advertise Here
Tear gas ends stand-off: One wounded, suspect jailed
By Dwayne Bremer
Dec 3, 2013, 21:42

Hancock Co. SWAT Team members outside the suspectís residence on Deerwood Rd. Tuesday.

A Kiln resident who allegedly shot a man and then held police at bay for two hours with a shotgun Tuesday was arrested after sheriff's deputies fired tear gas canisters into the barn where he was hiding.
Hancock County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Don Bass said Tuesday that his office received a report of a shooting on Deerwood Road about 5:45 p.m.
Deputy Jerry Flemming, who was the first deputy at the scene, said when he arrived, he noticed a man at the side of the house who was "bleeding profusely."
The man had been shot in the leg, Bass said.
The man told Flemming that he had been shot by another man, later identified as Gary Topham, age unknown, who was in the upstairs portion of an adjacent barn, Bass said.
Flemming was able to move the victim--who was not identified by press time Tuesday--to safety and he was taken from the scene by American Medical Response, Bass said.
Deputies then set up a perimeter around the barn and attempted to talk Topham out.
Topham remained in the barn for more than two hours and fired at least three shotgun blasts from a top window.
It was unclear if he was shooting at deputies or shooting into the air.
About 7:45 p.m., the Hancock County SWAT Team assembled and began shooting tear gas canisters into the barn.
SWAT Team members then entered the barn and Topham surrendered, Bass said. Topham was treated for minor wounds to his hands and transported to the Hancock County Jail, Bass said.
No law enforcement officers were injured during the standoff.
"This was a picture-perfect operation by our SWAT Team," Bass said. "I am very proud of these guys. In all my years of law enforcement, I think this is the best operation I have ever seen."
Topham will be charged with aggravated assault and other charges may also be added, Bass said.
The victim was transported to Garden Park Hospital for treatment, but his condition was unknown as of press time on Tuesday evening.


Advertise Here