Sponsor the Sea Coast Echo Weather! Call Jace at 228-467-5474
Advertise Here
Rocks surge past Hawks 35-13 in opener
By Joseph W. Gex, II
Aug 24, 2013, 01:08

The St. Stanislaus Rock-a-chaws defeated the Hancock Hawks 'between the walls' in the first week of the season behind a first half surge of 28 points 35-13.
The Rocks opened the game with a 21-yard pass from Tyler Allen to Chase Rhodes. Rhodes grabbed another pass for eight yards before Carl Gipson jumped in front of a Rock pass for an interception. He returned the pick 19 yards to the Hawk 43 yardline.
Hancock fumbled the ball back to the Rocks on their first play from scrimmage. SSC's Luke Logan recovered the loose football at the Hawks' 40 yard line.
It took the Rocks just one play to find the endzone as Allen hooked up with Rhodes on a 40-yard scoring aerial with 9:52 left in the first period. Patrick McRaney kicked the PAT to make the score 7-0.
The Hawks fumbled back to the Rocks on the second play of the ensuing drive. McRaney recovered the pigskin for SSC at the Hawk 31 yard line.
Hancock forced a Rock punt when Lane Ladner sacked Allen for seven yard loss.
Starting deep in their own territory, Shane Ladner ripped off a nine-yard run followed by Chase Fagan's nifty 75-yard scramble down to the Rock five yard line.
Shane Ladner scored from five yards out with 5:29 left on the next play. Arnel Dujkovic kicked the PAT to tie the score at 7-7.
Each team traded possession twice before SSC took over deep in their own territory at the eight yard line. Rock freshman running back Brandon Berry ripped off runs of 12 and 33 yards followed by Evan Lundgren's 18-yard run. The Rocks went back to the air with Allen connecting with Brennen Bradley for seven yards down to the Hawk 16 yard line. Three plays later, the Rocks scored on a 14-yard pass from Allen to Bradley with 8:33 left before halftime. McRaney kicked the PAT to make the score 14-7.
After the ensuing kickoff, Hancock took over at their own 17 yard line. Fagan went to the air for a five-yard gain to Malcolm Rawls. A holding penalty stopped the Hawk drive and forced a punt by Geb Fricke from the Hawk three yard line.
Rhodes fielded the punt just inside Rock territory and returned it to the Hawk 12 yard line. Another Hawk penalty put the ball at the six yard line.
The Rocks scored in one play as Allen found McRaney six yards later with 5:43 left before halftime. McRaney also kicked the PAT to make the score 21-7.
Following the kickoff, the Hawks were picked off by the Rocks' Mason Favre at the Hawk 41 yard line.
Berry ripped off a 35-yard run for SSC followed by a six-yard scoring plunge by Joe Guillot with 5:04 left to play in the first half. McRaney connected on the PAT to make the score 28-7 in favor of the Rocks.
Following the ensuing kickoff that Shane Ladner returned to the Hawk 39 yard line, Fagan slashed his way 61 yards for a Hawk touchdown with 4:44 left to play in the first half. Dujkovic's PAT was blocked by Luke Logan to keep the score at 28-13.
The squads traded possessions to end the half.
The Hawks opened the second half of play with a bruising Shane Ladner run of 11 yards followed by Alex Feazelle's gain of six yards. Another dose of Shane Ladner for 28 yards and the Rock defense tightened up with Mitchell Walk, Luke Logan and Favre sacking Fagan to force a Hawk punt.
Fricke's punt was aided by a Rock penalty that placed the ball at the Rock six yard line.
A big 64-yard gain by Allen was shortened by a penalty. Allen went back to the air to start the second half for the Rocks. He connected with Bradley for 23 yards, Rhodes six and Chase Zimmerman for 18. After an offensive pass interference call on the Rocks, the ball was spotted at the Hawk 31 yard line. Allen scrambled for 22 yards and then hooked up with Rhodes for a nine-yard scoring strike with 7:26 left in the third quarter. McRaney converted on the PAT to make the final score 35-13.
The two teams battled the remaining quarter and a half with no other scoring.
SSC head coach Gabe Fertitta commented, "It feels great for the players to get the first win since the Poplarville game in 2011. But, this team has been winning character-wise for quite some time. Our defense played well tonight and my hat goes off to Chase Fagan tonight. He is a very tough player and was tough to defend tonight. It is great to be 1-0 and tonight but when we wake up tomorrow we will be 0-0 again. We will enjoy this one tonight and get back to work."
SSC quarterback Tyler Allen was 23-for-43 passing for 323 yards and four touchdowns in the game. Chase Rhodes caught 11 passes for 117 yards and two scores while Brennen Bradley had seven catches for 115 passes and one score.
Hancock head coach Rocky Gaudin stated, "St. Stanislaus took it to us tonight especially in the first half. We will get better as the season progresses. This is a long season and we will learn a lot from tonight and the film. There is a lot to take away from this game and prepare for next week."
Chase Fagan led the Hancock attack with 13 carries for 235 yards and a touchdown.
The St. Stanislaus Rock-a-chaws travel to battle the Long Beach Bearcats next Friday evening while the Hancock Hawks travel to East Central. See you at the game!


Advertise Here