Runners starting to line up for city races
By Dwayne Bremer
Mar 5, 2013, 18:10
The 2013 municipal elections in Bay St. Louis, Diamondhead, and Pass Christian are beginning to take shape, and more than 40 candidates have thrown their respective hats into the ring so far.
The qualifying period for this year's election ends Friday at 5 p.m.
Party primaries will be held on May 7 and the general elections will be held on June 4.
Independent candidates will appear on the general election ballot only.
Voters have until April 7 to register or change their registrations at the Hancock County Circuit Clerk's Office.
In Diamondhead, there will be at least two new city council members come June.
Diamondhead Councilman Dianne Ackerman announced at Monday's city council meeting that she was withdrawing from the race.
Additionally, councilman Dalton Roberson recently announced he will not be seeking election.
Ackerman cited health concerns as the reason for her withdrawal from the race.
"It's been an honor and a pleasure to serve," Ackerman said. "I'm sorry to disappoint the people who encouraged me to run. I am only withdrawing because of a health issue and no other reason."
Ackerman said she will continue to serve until her term expires in June.
Mayor Chuck Ingraham said he was sad to see Ackerman go and thanked her for her service.
"On behalf of the council, we cannot thank you enough for your work since 2007," Ingraham said. "We can only hope that we can have someone else of your caliber sitting in that chair."
With Ackerman's exit, 11 candidates are now vying for city offices.
* Mayor: Chuck Ingraham (R), Tommy Schafer (R), and Carl Necaise (R).
* Councilman At Large: Ernie Knobloch (R) and Kenneth Edmonds (R).
* Ward One: Hank Holcomb (R), Joseph G. Lopes Jr. (R) and Alvin J. Walsh III (R).
* Ward Two: Blaine Lafontaine (R) and Joe Murray (R).
* Ward Three: Michael Schaefer (I).
* Ward Four: Ron Rech (R) and Jeffrey Chastain (R).
Bay St. Louis candidates:
Mayor: Les Fillingame (D).
* Ward One: Doug Seal (I).
* Ward Two: Wendy McDonald (D).
* Ward Three: Jeffrey Reed (D).
* Ward Four Bobby Compretta (D).
* Ward Five: Joey Boudin (D).
* Ward Six: Ray Kidd (R).
* Councilman At Large: Clark Breland (I), Johanna Spicuzza (I), Bennis Moss (D), Mike Favre (D), Gregory Favre (D), Mike Lee (D), and Gary Knoblock (R).
Pass Christian candidates:
* Mayor: Leo "Chipper" McDermott (R) and Joseph Piernas (D).
* Ward One: Robin "Rory" Rafferty (R) and Buddy Clarke (R).
* Ward Two: Amy Stewart Steiner (R) and W. Earl Washington Sr. (D).
* Ward Three: Anthony Hall (D) and Eugene Russell (R).
* Ward Four: Victor Pickich (R) and Gene Roberts (R).
* Alderman At Large: Anita Giani (I), Tommy Piernas (D) and Kenny Torgeson (R).