It’s Carnival Time: Mardi Gras kicks into high gear with Nereids parade
By Jennifer Lenain
Feb 5, 2013, 19:10
The Krewe of Nereids rolls on Hwy. 90 in Bay St. Louis and Waveland on Sunday during its 46th annual Mardi Gras parade.
Thousands lined Hwy. 90 on Sunday in Bay Saint Louis and Waveland to watch as the Krewe of Nereids celebrated Mardi Gras with its 46th annual parade.
This year, the parade consisted of more than 90 units, including elaborately-decorated floats, the Bay High Marching Band and Brother Martin ROTC of New Orleans.
"I think it was a great parade," Nereids' President Jeanne Richardson said. "The weather was perfect and it seemed to be a larger crowd than usual. Everyone was in a festive mood and had a great time."
The carnival action continues in Hancock County and elsewhere along the Coast this week.
Other Mardi Gras events to look for:
• Holy Trinity Catholic School, Bay St. Louis, will hold its Krewe of Knights Mardi Gras Parade on Friday, Feb. 8 at 9:30 a.m. The parade will begin on S. Second Street in front of the school. It will then travel to Union St., down to Beach Boulevard and back up Court St. to S. Second St. The Court will be presented at the Hancock County Chamber of Commerce on Court Street, where they will then watch the rest of the parade. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend.
• The 3rd Annual Mardi Pardi Race is set for Feb. 9 at 9 a.m. at the Mockingbird Cafe. Fundraising 5K/10K run through downtown Bay St. Louis and along the beach road. For more information and to register online, visit www.MardiPartiAdventure.org.
• The Krewe of Diamondhead Mardi Gras Parade will roll on Feb. 9 at noon. Approximately 30 units. Elaborately decorated golf carts will unload beads, stuffed animals, candy and other Carnival treats to scores of outstretched hands. Parade begins at the Community Center and winds its way towards the Country Club.
• The St. Paul Carnival Association Mardi Gras Ball is Feb. 9, doors open at 7 p.m. at the West Harrison Civic Center, 4670 West Espy Avenue. Join in the fun with presentation of the 2013 royal court and beautiful tableau, and then afterwards, dance the night away. To purchase tickets for the ball, contact St. Vincent De Paul School at 228-222-6000.
• The 83rd Annual St. Paul Carnival Assoc. Parade in Pass Christian is set to roll on Feb. 10 at noon.
The parade starts at the corner of Davis Ave. and Second Street, proceeds to Scenic Drive, turns west to Henderson Avenue, north to St. Louis, east to Church Street, south to Second Street, and east on Second to Davis Avenue. Grand marshal is Deuce McAllister. 2013 Royalty: King Christian LXXXIII is Chipper McDermott (mayor of Pass Christian) and Queen Christiana is Jane Dennis (wife of Dave Dennis). Hosted by the St. Paul Carnival Association.
• The 6th Annual Krewe of Diamonds Mardi Gras Parade will roll on Fat Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 1 p.m. in downtown Bay Saint Louis.
The parade will line up at Commagere Park on Bookter Street and will continue south to Necaise Avenue. From Necaise Ave., the route will continue to Main Street on to Beach Blvd.
The route will then proceed to Union Street and continue to Blaize Ave. (Third Street). From Blaize Ave., the parade will turn right on Sycamore Street and roll to Old Spanish Trail.
The parade will end on Bookter Street. Those interested in participating in the parade should call Corinn Burton at 228-671-1471 or Sharon Alexander at 228-493-2092.