Sponsor the Sea Coast Echo Weather! Call Jace at 228-467-5474
Rocks blank Tigers 30-0 in battle for Crab Trap
By Joseph W. Gex, II
Oct 7, 2017, 00:36

St. Stanislaus quarterback Jake Greer on Friday takes down Bay High’s Kyre Hodges-Campello during the annual “Battle for the Crab Trap.” The Rocks won 30-0.

The St. Stanislaus Rock-a-Chaws and the Bay High Tigers squared off Friday night 'between the walls' for the 48th time in the series dating back to 1945. The Rocks (4-3, 2-0) pitched their second consecutive shutout with a 30-0 blanking of the Tigers (0-7, 0-2) and claimed a 29-19 advantage in the rivalry.
Bay High head coach Ben Foreman commented, "Hats off to SSC. They have a solid defense. They changed up their coverages and mixed up their fronts to keep us off balance. And, they simply fly to the football. We could not get anything going with any consistency. I thought John Russo and Kyre Hodges-Campello played solid and competed. We have to get back to doing what we do. We host Vancleave next week so it is back to the drawing board and doing what we do."
Bay High started the game on offense and the Rock defense up front set the tone early. Nathan Hale, Joe Reeder, Thomas Weber, Leo Roos and Lewie Negrotto put up a wall on the first two plays from scrimmage. Nick Hava came down from the second level on the third play and stopped Jaylan Wilson for a loss forcing a punt.
On the Rocks' first play from scrimmage, Jake Greer connected with Harrison Brewer for a 25-yard gain followed by a 15-yard run from Andrew Trapani. But, the Bay High defense stiffened thanks to the play of John Russo, Kyre Hodges-Campello and Sam Sheppard. Two straight incompletions forced a Rock field goal attempt. Beau Rimmer converted on a 33-yard field goal with 8:05 left in the first quarter to put SSC up 3-0.
The Tigers gained just five yards on the ensuing drive as Reeder, Cameron Bishop and Hava combined for stops and forcing a punt.
After two minimal gains to start the drive, Greer went back to the air and found Delvin Henry for a gain of 18 yards. Trapani added gains of six and five yards before Cahill Marlowe ripped off 15 yards down to the Tiger 19 yard line. Greer found Thomas Williams on the next play for a 19-yard touchdown with 3:22 left in the first quarter. Rimmer's PAT was good making the score 10-0.
On the ensuing drive, the Tigers put together an 11-play drive that went into SSC territory. Minimal gains from Wilson preceded a pass interference call on SSC that gave the Tigers a fresh set of downs. Justin McKee gained five yards before Wilson scampered for 11 yards and a first down. Then, he added nine more before McKee dove ahead for another first down. Three plays later, Wilson broke free around the end for 10 more yards before Trace Rhodes forced a fumble that Roos recovered at the Rock 22 yard line stopping the Tiger drive.
Greer found Trapani for an 18-yard aerial before Trapani ripped off 43 yards down to the Tiger 14 yard line. The Rocks fumbled the transfer on the next play resulting in a loss of 10 yards. Greer got 13 yards back through the air with a toss to Marlowe. On the next play, Greer found Brewer for a six-yard touchdown toss with 7:48 left in the first half. The PAT missed leaving the score 16-0.
Sheppard lined up in the backfield and gained 15 and 17 yards before Hava and Lee Negrotto stripped the ball and JD rutherford recovered at midfield halting the Tiger drive.
The Rocks moved the ball down the field despite two penalties on the drive. Greer found Brewer for a gain of 23 yards down to the Tiger 25 yard line. Hodges-Campello chased Greer out of bounds for a loss of seven yards two plays later.
On the next play, Sema'j Robertson intercepted a tipped ball in the end zone and returned it to the Tiger 30 yard line stopping the Rock drive.
The Tigers tried another look in the backfield with Kesaun Laneaux. He gained eight yards and a Tiger first down following a SSC offsides penalty. But, the drive stalled with Rutherford, Bishop and Hava keeping the Tigers from advancing the sticks and forcing a punt.
The Tigers sacked the Rocks on the second play of the drive forcing a punting situation. On the last play of the first half, the Tigers fumbled the snap resulting in a loss of 25 yards as both teams retired to their locker rooms for a break.
The Rocks opened the second half on offense following a return by Rutherford to the Rock 45 yard line. Trapani gained five yards followed by a personal foul penalty and ejection on the Tigers that brought the ball to the Tiger 35 yard line. On the following play, Greer found Brewer in the end zone for a 35-yard scoring aerial with 11:26 left in the third quarter. The PAT by Rimmer was good making the score 23-0.
Each team traded a punt before Rutherford picked off a Tiger pass thwarting a Tiger drive. But, SSC was unable to do anything with the ball and were forced to punt away. Wilson ripped off 11 yards and then completed two passes for a first down near midfield. However, the Rock defense stepped up and forced a punt that was downed at the Rock 13 yard line.
Marlowe gained two yards before Greer stepped up and connected with Thomas Williams for a gain of 24 yards. However, a penalty was called on Williams who hurdled a defender which is now illegal in high school football. The ball was brought back 10 yards but the play still went for a first down. Greer stayed in the air and found Brewer for 12 yards followed by three consecutive passes to Dallas Payne.
Payne and Maxwell Lewis went at it all game. Payne caught the first pass for 13 yards and a first down. On the second pass, Payne went through Lewis for a gain of 16 yards. And, the third pass was good for 12 yards down to the Tiger 18 yard line. On the final play of the drive, Greer hit Trapani for an 18-yard scoring toss with 7:29 left in the game. Rimmer's PAT was good making the score 30-0.
The Tigers put together their best drive of the night and took seven minutes off the clock in the process. McKee gained 13 yards on the first play followed by another four yards. Wilson slithered through the defense for a gain of 24 yards into Rock territory. Minimal gains by Wilson and McKee over the next seven plays resulted in a turnover on downs with 31 seconds left in the game. Trapani ripped off 19 yards on the ensuing play for SSC ending the game.
SSC head coach Jeff Jordan stated, "I am very proud of our boys especially the defense and special teams. Offensively, we had some mistakes like missed blocks and errant throws but we did enough to win. It is always a good night when you get a division win. Now, we have a huge week facing us with East Central next Friday night. This is a huge challenge and our biggest test of the year to date. We have to play much better and we have to be focused in on the task at hand this week. It will take our very best effort."
The Rocks were led by Greer who threw for 247 yards and four touchdowns on 17-for-29 passing. Trapani rushed 12 times for 110 yards and added three catches for 40 yards and a touchdown. Brewer caught five passes for 101 yards and two touchdowns. Williams added three catches for 39 yards and a touchdown. Payne also had three catches for 41 yards. Defensively for SSC, Roos tallied 12 stops followed by Hava and Lee Negrotto with nine tackles.
The Tigers were led by Wilson with 20 carries for 102 yards. On defense, Russo had 14 tackles while Hodges-Campello had 11.
The Tigers will host Vancleave next Friday at Joe D. McCullouch Stadium/Tank Williams Field. SSC travels to East Central next Friday. The Hornets blanked Pass Christian 47-0 last night. See you at the game!


Advertise Here